NAELA Advocacy Victories in Latest COVID-19 Package
Congress passed a massive 5,500+ page package that contained additional COVID-19 relief, appropriations for the remainder of the fiscal year, a deal on ameliorating surprise medical bills, and an extension expiring of health and tax policies.
• NAELA achieved victory on several fronts including:
• The lower Medical expense deduction threshold of 7.5 percent of adjusted gross income is now permanent;
• Mandating spousal impoverishment protections to HCBS waivers is extended until September 2023.
• Funding for Money Follows the Person through 2023.
NAELA also worked in coalition, led by Consumer Voice, to block proposals that would provide broad legal immunity to long-term care facilities from becoming part of the package. Consumer Voice’s leadership on this issue was supported by a recent NAELA Foundation grant. The Elder Justice Coalition, of which NAELA is a founding member, also helped to secure $100 million for Elder Justice Act initiatives.
COVID-19 Package: Reference Materials
• Legislative text
• House Ways and Means Committee COVID-19 page
• Second Round of Economic Impact Payments FAQ
• One-Pager on Economic Impact Payments
• Summary of Health-Related Provisions
• No Surprises Act (surprise medical billing) Section-by-Section
• Medicare, Medicaid, & Health and Human Services Extenders Section-by-Section
• Unemployment Insurance Section-by-Section
• Senate Finance Committee Chair Statement with links
• Tax Section Summary