NAELA News Editorial Board
NAELA News is published four times a year. The monthly NAELA News Online emails compliment the print editions with additional content. NAELA News has two complementary purposes: to communicate the activities, goals, and mission of its publisher, the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys; and simultaneously, to seek out and publish information and diverse views related to elder law and special needs planning.
The NAELA News Editorial Board is made up of the Editor-In-Chief and up to eight Editors. The NAELA staff liaison is Nancy Sween, NAELA Senior Director of Communications and Publications.
Meetings are monthly conference calls on the last Tuesday of the month at 3 p.m. Eastern Time. All members of the Editorial Committee are expected to be on each call.
It is preferred that the membership of the Editorial Board be geographically diverse and have different practice backgrounds, for example, sole practitioner, small firm, academic, Social Security emphasis, Special Needs emphasis, new attorney, or more experienced attorney.
Experience with writing or editing for publication is helpful. This is not an academic publication, so law review background is not required.
In addition to participating in the monthly conference calls, Editorial Committee members are expected:
- To bring ideas for articles and potential authors to the editorial board for consideration.
- To write short articles or conduct interviews for articles.
- To review articles that are submitted to determine if they are suitable for publication.
- To edit articles that are submitted to improve readability.
- If attending NAELA conferences, to provide articles to inspire other members to attend future conferences.
NAELA members interested in being considered for membership on the NAELA News Editorial Committee should send a statement of their interest to Nancy Sween, Senior Director of Communications and Publications. Include the following information:
- Professional background
- Primary areas of expertise
- Any prior writing experience
- Any prior editing publications