NAELA, along with 45 national and state organizations, sent a letter to Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Administrator Seema Verma with recommendations that CMS should take to better protect and support nursing home residents during the COVID-19 pandemic. Recommendations were outlined as follows:
Read the letter.
- CMS should ensure that facility residents, their families, and the general public know whether and to what extent a facility’s residents and staff members have contracted COVID-19.
- CMS should ensure that nursing facilities are competent to provide care for residents with COVID-19.
- CMS should ensure that nursing facilities actively coordinate and facilitate telephone calls, video conferences, and other communications between residents and their family members and friends.
- CMS should ensure that transfers of residents are made collaboratively with residents and their representatives, to the greatest extent possible.
- CMS should guarantee a resident’s right to return to a nursing facility, and facilitate access to Medicaid home and community-based services.
- CMS should protect access for Medicaid-eligible residents.