The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) has designated October
as "National Special Needs Law Month
." Special Needs Law attorneys throughout the country contribute a great deal to their communities by educating those with special needs, their families, and caregivers about their legal needs. By participating in Special Needs Law Month, you can help spread the mission of NAELA — to establish NAELA members as the premier providers of legal advocacy, guidance, and services to enhance the lives of those with disabilities.
What Can You Do?
Reach out to your clients in a variety of ways that will benefit not only those with disabilities, but also your law practice. Here are a few ideas:
- Conduct a living will or health care proxy day;
- Give a seminar on financing long-term care;
- Provide pro-bono legal services;
- Lecture at a local law school;
- Co-sponsor a program with your state bar association;
- Reach out to disability advocacy organizations; or
- Write an editorial for your local newspaper.
Let NAELA Help You Promote Your Event on the NAELA Website
Let us know when and where you'll be holding your event and we'll post it along with a link for more information.
What Can NAELA Do to Help You?
NAELA members should log on and visit the Special Needs Law Month Toolkit, which includes:
- Sample letters to send to local organizations, inviting them to your event;
- Sample press releases you can send to your local newspaper;
- Guidelines for talking to reporters;
- Sample presentation outlines; and
- List of suggested topics for your presentation.
NAELA has brochures available to order that will help you explain Special Needs Law during your presentations as well as in your practice. Topics include:
- Durable powers of attorney;
- Guardianship and conservatorship;
- Planning for health care decision-making;
- And more!
Remember to return the feedback form with your ideas and suggestions. Don't forget to let us know what you did for Special Needs Law Month so we can publish the events in an upcoming issue of NAELA News.
Let NAELA Help You Spread The Word on Special Needs Law Month
Log on and go to the Special Needs Law Month Toolkit.
For help with promoting your Special Needs Law Month events and for more information, contact Communications Specialist Abby Matienzo.
2011 Special Needs Law Month Activities
See what NAELA members did in their communities to help spread the word about NAELA in their communities as well as make new connections.