During National Special Needs Law Month, NAELA members across the country offer special living will days, public seminars, Special Needs Law clinics, and other activities designed to educate the public.
What Is Special Needs Law?
Special Needs Law is a specialized area of law that involves representing, counseling, and assisting people with disabilities and their families in connection with a variety of legal issues, from disability planning to mental health, with a primary emphasis on promoting the highest quality of life for the individuals. Typically, Special Needs Law attorneys address the client’s perspective from a holistic viewpoint by discussing legal, medical, financial, social, and family issues.
Demand for Special Needs Law Is Growing
"About one in every five people in the United States has a disability. Some people are born with a disability. Some get sick or have an accident that results in a disability. Some people develop disabilities as they age. Almost all of us will have a disability at some point." – Surgeon General (MedlinePlus, Disabilities)
As a result, the need is growing for specialized legal advice about special needs-related issues.
See recent statistics on Aging and Special Needs and Long-Term Care and Health Reform (Alliance for Health Reform Sourcebook).
What are the Issues Addressed By Special Needs Law Attorneys?
Special Needs Law attorneys are experts in key areas including:
- Durable powers of attorney,
- Guardianship and conservatorship,
- Medicare, and
- Planning for health care decision-making.
Learn more about Elder and Special Needs Law topics.
Why Choose a NAELA Member Attorney?
NAELA members specialize in Elder and Special Needs Law. They understand the unique and complex issues faced by people with disabilities, as well as the issues their families face. Learn more about what makes a NAELA member your best choice for an attorney.
- Phoenix, AZ - Stephanie A. Bivens will give a free presentation open to the public on “Special Needs Planning” on Monday, October 21, 2013, at Lifeprint, 20414 N 27th Ave. #400, Phoenix, AZ 85027.
- Houston, TX - Kimberly Hegwood will present “Planning for Your Child with Disabilities” on Tuesday, October 22, 2013, at 6:30pm, at Hegwood & Associates Main Office, 950 Gemini Street, Suite 6, Houston, TX 77058.
Please call (281) 218-0880 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Pearland, TX - Kimberly Hegwood and Nelson Negron, Merrill Lynch financial advisor, will present “Planning for Families of Children with Disabilities” on October 10, 15, and 24, at 6:30 p.m. The presentation will be held at the Creative Mind Academy, 2530 E. Broadway, Suite A, Pearland, TX 77581. Please call (218) 281-0880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Find an Elder and Special Needs Law Attorney in your area through our Member Directory.
For more information on National Special Needs Law Month, contact Communications Specialist Abby Matienzo.
Help Spread the Word About National Special Needs Law Month
- Email us for a copy of our free brochure, "Questions and Answers When Looking For an Elder and Special Needs Attorney," or read it online.
- Share the logo and on your website or social media networks, such as Facebook or Twitter.
About the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
Established in 1987, NAELA is a nonprofit association that assists lawyers, bar organizations and others. Members of NAELA are attorneys who are experienced and trained in working with the legal problems of aging Americans and individuals of all ages with disabilities. The mission of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys is to establish NAELA members as the premier providers of legal advocacy, guidance and services to enhance the lives of people with special needs and people as they age. NAELA currently has more than 4,000 members across the United States, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom.