During Elder Law Month, NAELA members across the country offer special living will days, public seminars, Elder Law clinics, and other activities designed to educate the public.
"Elder Law attorneys are competent, caring, and compassionate professionals," said Craig Reaves, former NAELA President. "They focus on the overall picture of what is best for clients and their families."
What Is Elder Law?
Elder Law is a specialized area of law that involves representing,
counseling, and assisting seniors, people with disabilities, and their
families in connection with a variety of legal issues, from estate
planning to long term care issues, with a primary emphasis on promoting
the highest quality of life for the individuals. Typically, Elder Law
attorneys address the client’s perspective from a holistic viewpoint by
discussing legal, medical, financial, social, and family issues.
Demand for Elder Law Is Growing
The number of older individuals in the population is projected to
increase to 71.5 million in 2030, representing nearly 20 percent of the
U.S. population. As a result, the need is growing for specialized legal
advice about aging-related issues.
See recent statistics on Aging and Special Needs, Long-Term Care and Health Reform (Alliance for Health Reform Sourcebook), and Older Americans Act Facts (Leadership Council of Aging Organizations).
What are the Issues Addressed By Elder Law Attorneys?
Elder Law attorneys are experts in 13 key areas including:
- Estate Planning and Probate,
- Estate and Gift Tax Planning,
- Medicaid and Medicare,
- Entitlement Programs,
- Retirement Benefits,
- Age Discrimination,
- Elder Abuse/Neglect,
- Housing, Long-Term Care Financing,
- Medical Decision Making, and
- Disability Planning and Insurance.
Learn more about Elder and Special Needs Law topics.
Why Choose a NAELA Member Attorney?
NAELA members specialize in Elder Law. They understand the unique and
complex issues faced by people as they age, as well as the issues their
families face. Learn more about what makes a NAELA member your best choice for an attorney.
Order Your Free Brochure
Email us for a free copy of our "Questions and Answers When Looking For An Elder Law Attorney" brochure.
Find an Elder and Special Needs Law Attorney in your area through our Member Directory.
For more information on Elder Law Month, contact Communications Associate Abby Matienzo.
- Michele Biggart of Nancy Burner & Associates, P.C., held a client appreciation day at the local movie theater to see Jersey Boys in East Setauket.
Special thanks to Seniors for Living, Carney, Sugai & Sudweeks, and Osterhout & McKinney, P.A. for their help in promoting National Elder Law Month.
- The Florida Chapter of NAELA (AFELA) contacted Florida Governor Rick Scott, who proclaimed May 2013 as Elder Law Month in the state of Florida. See the resolution. The Florida Chapter also recognizes the hard work and dedication of
family member caregivers through their "Caregiver of the Year" award during National Elder Law Month.
- Karnardo Garnett of the LegalJourney Law Firm in Tampa will participate in National Elder Law Month by offering seminars and attending expos discussing the importance of planning.
May 15 - University Village: Annual Health & Wellness Expo, 12401 North 22nd St., Tampa, FL 33612
May 16 - Advanced Retirement Strategies and Asset Protection Workshop: Brio Tuscan Grille, 2223 North Westshore Blvd., Tampa, FL 33607 at 6:00pm
May 21 - Advanced Retirement Strategies and Asset Protection Workshop: Brio Tuscan Grille, 2223 North Westshore Blvd., Tampa, FL 33607 at 6:00pm
May 30 - Avoiding the Top Ten Estate Planning Mistakes: Grand Court 4902 Bayshore Blvd., Tampa, FL 33611 at 6:30pm
- Dawn M. Weekly and the Legacy Law Firm will host a Senior Fair on Wednesday, May 15, from 12:30-3:30pm, at Timber Creek Inn and Suites, 3300 Drew Ave., Sandwich, Ill. The event is free to attend and includes door prizes, over 50 vendors, free health screenings, free lunch for the first 100 attendees.There are still openings for vendors and sponsors. Booth fee is $35 or $10 for a Non-Profit. If you or your organization is interested in participating in this event, please call Jori at (815) 570-2334.
- Richard A. Courtney will guest-host on May 7 on the Mississippi Public Broadcasting's “Money Talks” call-in show from 9:00–10:00am Central Time. He will publicize that May is National Elder Law Month and talking about various Elder Law topics on the show. The show can be heard live streaming online, or by downloading the Mississippi Public Broadcasting app for Android or iPhone.
- HoganWillig will be hosting an Elder Law Day on Monday, May 13, at their Amherst, NY location (2410 North Forest Road, Suite 301). They are offering FREE 20-minute private consultations with one of their attorneys for review of basic estate planning documents and Elder Law issues. These FREE consultations will be by appointment only. Appointment slots will fill-up quickly, so, please call for an appointment today: (716) 636-7600.
- Keystone Elder Law will hold a free public seminar on Thursday, May 23, at the Rossmoyne Business Center in Mechanicsburg.
Washington, D.C. Metro area
Scroll down this page for event recaps and photos from National Elder Law Month 2012.
- Timothy P. Crawford will be distributing free Health Care Powers of Attorney to the public in several locations in Racine, Wisc. He also had the mayor of Racine and Racine County Executive declare May as Elder Law Month.
About the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
Established in 1987, NAELA is a nonprofit association that assists lawyers, bar organizations and others. Members of NAELA are attorneys who are experienced and trained in working with the legal problems of aging Americans and individuals of all ages with disabilities. The mission of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys is to establish NAELA members as the premier providers of legal advocacy, guidance and services to enhance the lives of people with special needs and people as they age. NAELA currently has more than 4,000 members across the United States, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom.