NAELA Office and Staff
Our offices are located at 1577 Spring Hill Road, Suite 310, Vienna, Virginia 22182 and are open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday, except holidays. Our telephone number is (703) 942-5711, and our fax number is (703) 563-9504. You may leave a voicemail message 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also direct general questions to us via email. Our general email inbox is monitored during business hours.
NAELA staff members can help you with any questions you might have about your NAELA membership, events, publications, public policy, etc. The key responsibilities for each staff member will help you connect with the right person quickly, but know that any staff member can assist you with your questions or get your call or email to the right person for a prompt response.
Please note that NAELA staff cannot provide any legal counseling. If you are seeking legal advice or need to find an Elder Law attorney, please see NAELA's Member Directory.
Peter G. Wacht, CAE
NAELA’s chief executive officer responsible for strategic planning, oversees day-to-day operations, and implements policies and procedures.
- Board of Directors
- Executive Committee
- Council of Advanced Practitioners (CAP)
- Nominating Committee
Director of Operations
- Accounts payable and receivable
- Maintaining the NAELA Store and Online Education Center
- Meeting and event registration
- Managing day-to-day operations
Chapter Services Manager
- Manage Chartered NAELA Chapters and Chapter service packages, serve as liaison for Chapter governance and leadership support
- Staff liaison to Advocacy/Litigation, Practice Success, Trust/Special Need Trusts, GAP and Special Needs Law sections steering committees
- Develop and manage Volunteer Engagement Programs
- Chapter website and communications development
|Susan (Suzy) Buckshaw
Program and Support Coordinator
- Administrative support to Executive Director, Executive Committee, and Board of Directors
- Group meeting and event planning (non-educational programming)
- General membership and operations support
- Staff liaison to CAP Programs Committee
|Membership and Meetings
Member Services Manager
Manages NAELA membership programs and activities.
- Membership management
- Member directory
- Staff liaison to NAELA Chapters
|Meetings and Education
Meetings and Education Coordinator
Coordinates NAELA’s meetings and continuing legal education-related activities.
- Continuing Legal Education (CLE)
- Exhibits and sponsorships
- Meetings and Education web content
|Pamela (Pam) Yanni
Meetings and Education Manager
Manages the execution of educational programs and meetings.
- NAELA’s educational programming targets
- Staff liaison to the Program and Education Committee
- Budgets for educational programs
- Site selection and contract negotiations
| Miles Truax
Project Management of Online Learning Projects and Learning System and staff liaison to the Guardianship, Healthcare, Tax and Young/New section steering committees.
- Online Learning Program Execution
- Learning System Set-up and Management
|Kirsten Brown Simpson
Sr. Director, Planning and Programs
Business planning and marketing.
- Strategic direction to membership, meetings and marketing
- NAELA messaging and campaigns
- Member demographics, trending, and analysis
Nancy M. Sween
Sr. Director, Communications and Publications
Directs NAELA’s external communications activities and publications.
- NAELA News content, planning, and advertising
- NAELA Journal content and planning
- Public relations
Public Policy Manager
Contact for NAELA public policy/advocacy initiatives
- Staff liaison for Public Policy committees
- Represents the Academy in its coalition advocacy activities
|Abegail (Abby) Matienzo
Integral part of NAELA’s external communications activities.
- Media requests for interviews/information
- NAELA’s speaker/writer bureau
- Elder Law Month
- Special Needs Law Month
- eBulletin production
- Website traffic and quality control